Land Use Training Funds
In 2018, the Utah Legislature allocated a portion of building permit surcharge fees to the Office of the Property Rights Ombudsman. The Office uses these funds to provide training on drafting and applying land use laws and land use dispute resolution. To learn more about this resource and request training from the attorneys in our Office visit our Request Training page or call us at 801-530-6391.
In addition to using the funds to provide training resources directly, the Ombudsman’s Office also uses the funds to award reimbursement grants to other organizations or individuals who also provide land use training and meet certain criteria.
If you provide land use training, we invite you to apply for a reimbursement grant. Applicable applications and forms may be found above. Eligible programs may take the form of live or prerecorded seminars or lectures, continuing education programs, video production, or development and distribution of training materials and written information. Applications must be submitted before the proposed training program occurs and funds will be provided on a reimbursement basis only.
The administrators of the fund may consider the following factors in determining whether to approve a Request for Land Use Training application:
- Previous experience in providing training
- Cost estimates, including cost per attendee estimates
- How well the education fits in with the fund’s land use education and training objectives
- Whether the training addresses current Utah land use law, issues and best practices
- How well the text relates to the course objectives
- The target audience
- The expected number of students, hours of instruction, and the ratio of students per dollar spent
- The location or region of the state targeted by the education
- The percentage of training costs paid for by the student
- Any other considerations deemed important by the fund administrators
- Available funds
Please refer to the submittal checklists and individual forms and applications (at the top of this page) for more detailed information. Call our Office at 801-530-6391 if you have specific questions about the different forms and applications, or about whether a program may qualify for reimbursement.
Applications will be approved on a quarterly basis. ***The deadline for the next round of applications is October 18, 2022***
Contact the Ombudsman’s Office at 801-530-6391 for further information on application deadlines and funding timelines.